Best Rated Upright Freezer Reviews for 2020
If you have a big family, you know that extra freezer space can really help things out. In this buying guide, we’re going to check out some buying factors that go into really good freezers and the options you should be looking for.
We’re also going to be listing three different upright freezers that we think are worth the money. Thanks for reading and we hope you learn some helpful information.
And always remember, the Amazon review scores are your guiding hand in making the right purchases for your household.
Upright Freezers Buying Guide
Not all upright freezers are created equal. As a matter of fact, there are a lot of really bad upright freezers on the market today. It’s not difficult to make the wrong purchase, but if you’re an informed consumer, you can stop yourself from making a bad purchase to begin with. Scan this buying guide for helpful tips that will save you from making a terribly costly purchasing mistake.
1. Cubic Feet Of Storage Space
The amount of storage space varies greatly with upright freezers. You should choose a size based on your freezing needs. You can find upright freezers in 1.5 – 14 foot capacities.
2. Electronic Temperature Controls
This makes it easier to control the freezing temperature and will ensure that changing temps is always an easy task. You should always look for this new electronic innovation in an upright freezer because older models simply won’t have it.
3. Frost Free Operation
The need to manually defrost the inside of a freezer can happen with older models. Nowadays, modern freezers often come with the frost free functionality. This eliminates the need to manually defrost the freezer by keeping the inside frost free to begin with.
4. Locking Mechanism
For families that have children in the home, this can prevent them from opening the door and getting locked in. It can also prevent theft of your food items. Not all upright freezers come with this feature, so if you have kids be sure you get one that does. They come with a key to conveniently unlock it.
5. Adjustable Shelves
This is a great feature to have with upright freezers. An adjustable shelf system will allow you to store items in the freezer without having food items get stacked too high and lost. A shelf system usually comes standard in upright freezers, but it’s still something to look for.
Most upright freezers that are worth the price will have a warranty. There will also be an extended warranty option for an additional cost. Warranties are great to protect your purchase in the event that anything goes wrong with them during the warranty period.
7. Name Brand
The manufacturer of your upright freezer is important. Not all upright freezers are high quality, and it’s up to you to figure out which ones are a good deal for the money. Brand names like Frigidaire, General Electric, and Sunepentwon are generally a good deal for the money.
8. Amazon Reviews
This is a great way to differentiate between a good deal and a really bad purchase. Amazon reviews are here to help you decide whether the product you’re considering is really worth the money or not. Look for at least 4 stars in the reviews and you’ll be able to separate the good from the bad products. This is one of the best ways to keep yourself safe from purchasing mistakes.
It’s better to spend a little bit extra on an upright freezer that’s actually going to last. Cheaper models may work alright for the first couple of months, but you’re really gambling with the dependability. Spend the extra money and get a dependable product.
Sunpentown UF-160S 1.6 Cubic Feet Upright Freezer Review
This is one of the smallest freezer options on the market. Although it’s small, some people don’t need a huge freezer. For the people who don’t need something so big, this 1.6 cubic foot model is an option to consider. With a stainless steel design, food stains and residue on the outside will no longer be a problem.
This model will fit on any countertop and is a real space saver. It has a slide out shelf that allows you to make the most of the space it offers.
And for people who live with multiple people in one home setting, it comes with a lock and key to make sure people don’t get into your stuff. This is the perfect college or single person companion, and it can cool all the way down to 0 degrees Fahrenheit. The 1 year limited warranty ensures that you don’t get stuck with a defective product, and you’ll really enjoy the flush design for additional space savings.
- 1.6 cubic foot capacity.
- Pull Out Shelf.
- Stainless Steel Design.
- Fits On Any Countertop.
- Manual Defrost.
- 1 Year Warranty.
- Door design can be installed to open on the left or right side.
- This small freezer makes a great addition to a mini-fridge.
- Clear and easy to follow instructions.
- Quiet operation – The way a countertop model should be.
- Ships well protected with lots of padding.
- Temperature adjustment dial is on the back of the unit, preventing accidental adjustments.
- Looks stylish with the stainless steel panels.
- Economical, doesn’t use a lot of energy.
- Many Amazon reviews say this freezer works very well.
- Will not automatically restart after a power outage – Requires manual restarting.
- Outside panels can get a little warm.
GE FUF17DLRWW Upright Freezer Review
This is a big enough freezer for large families. It has as much space as a fridge, completely dedicated to freezing your favorite food items. It has electronic temperature controls and frost free functionality, so no more manual defrosting needed!
The sliding basket at the bottom allows you to store items that would otherwise be awkward. The shelving system also helps in this way, allowing you make the most of the generous space being offered. It comes with a safety lock to prevent theft and/or small children crawling inside it.
A high temperature alarm will go off if internal temperature levels are too high. An included interior light makes finding items in a dark setting easy. Finally, a 1 year warranty allows you to return the product if it’s defective. GE stands behind their warranty.
All in all this is a great product with lots of satisfied customers. Some people complain about the noise levels, but if it’s in a garage or away from you setting it really can’t be beat. Noise isn’t really that much of an issue, it just sort of “hums”.
- 13.7 cubic foot model.
- Electronic temperature control system.
- Safety lock and key.
- Interior light.
- Baskets and shelving system.
- Family size.
- 1 year warranty.
- Extended warranty available.
- Generous and spacious design solves a lot of problems.
- Frost free design prevents the need to manually defrost.
- Great product for garages and other outer settings.
- Lots of shelves and baskets means you get to use all the space inside.
- Reasonable price – Great performance.
- GE proven dependability.
- Refined and smooth design.
- Door can be mounted on either side.
- Great size for families.
- Well lit on the inside.
- Somewhat noisy.
- Outside panels of this freezer can get warm.
Sunpentown UF-311S 3 Cubic Feet Stainless Upright Freezer Review
This is a great space saving upright freezer that’s built to last. It comes with 4 separate pull out storage baskets and an ice tray, as well as a lock and key feature that prevents opening the door without the key.
The door is reversible and the legs are front leveling, so balance won’t be a problem. There’s a mechanical thermostat that allows you to adjust the temperature easily.
This is a manual defrost freezer, so from time to time you’ll have to unplug and defrost the inside. The Energy Star rating allows you to save money over the cost of more wasteful freezers, and it comes with a 1 year limited warranty to keep you safe from factory defects.
The stainless steel construction is an improvement over earlier models, and it’s exceptionally quiet when running. All in all this is an affordably priced freezer that would be perfect for single people on a budget.
- 3.0 Cubic Foot Model.
- Space Saving Design.
- 4 Baskets For Storage.
- Ice Tray.
- Lock and Key For The Door.
- Mechanical Thermostat.
- Manual Defrost.
- Energy Star Rated.
- 1 Year Warranty.
- Save money on electricity with the Energy Star rating.
- Light enough to be carried up to upstairs areas.
- Easily fit your items into the included storage baskets – No more digging for food items.
- Adjustable thermostat works great for temperature control.
- Very quiet operation – One of the quietest on the market.
- Plugs in and starts to cool items quickly.
- One of the most affordable options on the market.
- A great dorm style option for college students.
- Sunpentown has been making high quality products for awhile now.
- Not big enough for large families.
- Requires a manual defrost from time to time.